Choosing which dog muzzle is right for your pup is no easy feat —there are so many options out there! Luckily, we've done all the work for you: we've compiled the very best dog muzzles in 2023 (and beyond). Here are our picks:
Our Top Dog Muzzle Picks
- Best overall dog muzzle: Leerburg's Lightweight Leather Basket Muzzle
- Best dog muzzle for small dogs: Four Paws’ Quick-Fit Muzzle For Dogs
- Best dog muzzle for agitation training: Original RAM Gray Leather Agitation Muzzle
- Best dog muzzle for large-breed dogs: RAM Adjustable Mesh Muzzle
- Best anti-biting dog muzzle: PetSafe’s Anti-Biting Dog Muzzle
How we tested the best dog muzzles: What to look for
1. Materials. A good dog muzzle has to be soft and easy for your pup to wear, but also strong and durable enough to keep their head in place if they decide to pull against it.
2. Ventilation. You need a muzzle with a breathable design in case your dog gets overheated while wearing it.
3. Comfortability. Does your dog look like it would be uncomfortable wearing this type of muzzle on an everyday basis?
4. Security. Can your pet take off the muzzle easily?
5. Size. It should fit comfortably around your pup’s mouth without being too tight or too loose –they need to eat, pant, and drink!
Related: 100+ Best Boy Dog Names
10 Best Dog Muzzles in 2023
1. Leerburg's Lightweight Leather Basket Muzzle
If you're looking for a muzzle that's lightweight and flexible, Leerburg's leather basket muzzle is a perfect choice. The non-restrictive design allows air to flow into your dog’s lungs, keeping it from getting too hot or stuffy even if they're wearing this muzzle for long periods of time. Plus, it’s secure and provides plenty of mouth movement.
2. PetSafe’s Anti-Biting Dog Muzzle
PetSafe’s Anti-Biting and Barking Dog Muzzle is made from soft, comfortable materials that not only keep your dog from biting others but also give him a sense of comfort and security. This muzzle also includes an adjustable strap that allows you to get the perfect fit for your pet; even if they have a small head.
3. Four Paws’ Quick-Fit Muzzle For Dogs
This great muzzle is designed to fit dogs of all sizes, shapes, and breeds. It’s made of nylon, which helps protect your dog's face from injuries while also keeping their breathing area open and airy. The muzzle also comes with minimal buckles, so you can adjust the fit of the muzzle to suit your dog's needs.
4. Premier Pet’s Dog Muzzle
Premier Pet’s Dog Muzzle is a great choice for dogs who are prone to barking or nipping while on short vet visits. It comes in three sizes (small, medium, and large) to fit different breeds, and it’s made of durable, washable material. In addition, this muzzle is padded with soft foam, which makes it comfortable and easy to wear.
5. RAM Adjustable Mesh Muzzle
The RAM muzzle is designed for dogs over 50 pounds. It’s entirely made of mesh for better breathability and, it’s also very light. On top of that, the front part of the muzzle has padding to help prevent injuries and irritation to your dog’s gums and teeth. Plus, the attached strap lets you adjust the size of the muzzle so it fits properly on your pup!
6. JAFCO Comfortable Dog Muzzle
The JAFCO Comfortable Dog Muzzle is a jaw-friendly muzzle that was created by a Police K9 trainer. This muzzle features a lightweight, comfortable design that is suitable for dogs of all sizes and breeds. It’s made of plastic and you can find it in both black and white. Additionally, the front part is transparent, so you can see your dog's expression at all times.
7. Original RAM Gray Leather Agitation Muzzle
This muzzle is a great option for large dogs that have to go through agitation training, especially police dogs. It’s made of comfortable soft leather, designed to avoid any type of damage or irritation to your pet’s skin. Plus, it fits snugly and provides enough airflow so your dog can breathe easily during training.
8. CollarDirect Leather German Shepherd
This type of muzzle is for dog breeds with a long muzzle, such as the German Shepherd or the Doberman. Thanks to its leather material, its buckles, and its metal rivets, it prevents deformation over time. In addition, it’s highly resistant and durable.
9. Baskerville Muzzle for Dogs
If you are thinking of taking your dog on a trip, the Baskerville muzzle can be a great ally. It has comfortable safety straps that reinforce the muzzle so that it doesn’t come loose at any time. Besides, this product includes adjustable buckles and enough mouth space to let your pup eat and drink safely.
10. Artero’s Silicone Muzzle For Dogs
The Artero Dog Muzzle is made of silicone, a material that isn’t only comfortable, but also very easy to clean. This makes it perfect for daily use. It allows enough space for your dog to breathe calmly during his walks, and includes a simple adjustable strap to fit all types of heads.
Dog Muzzle: Frequently Asked Questions
How many types of dog muzzles are there?
There are two main types of dog muzzles: the nylon and the basket muzzle. However, you can have a wide variety of muzzles in the market. Some examples are fabric muzzles, leather muzzles, silicone muzzles, and metal muzzles.
Is it okay to muzzle a dog?
The short answer is yes, if you do it correctly. While there are many good reasons why you might want to muzzle your dog, the most important one is safety. You can use a muzzle when there’s a high risk your dog will bite others, or if you’re having trouble keeping them from eating whatever they find on their way.
Do muzzles work for aggressive dogs?
Yes, they do. However, muzzles won't necessarily make aggressive dogs any less aggressive. If you're looking for a muzzle to help your dog control its aggression, the best option is often to find a vet or trainer who can work with your dog. A professional is going to better evaluate the situation and determine the best way to treat it.